My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicagoland, United States

I'm a deaf mom to three deaf and hard of hearing kids. The hubby is deaf too. Kaycie, our Westie, can hear a rabbit breathing a half mile away. I grew up hard of hearing and became deaf at the age of 19.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. Mohandas Gandhi





Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner



Josh Swiller Pens "The Unheard"

Neil McDevitt, Firefighter

June Prusak, Manager of a Youth Program

Jamie Berke's Employment Links

Do You Want to be on MTV? Read on!

DeafPeople.com

Jobs, Careers and Callings!




Deaf & HH Attorneys
Medical Professionals
DeafPeople.com
Film, Art & Media
Deaf HH & Employment
Deaf & HH Nurses
Deaf & HH Businesses
Jobs and Careers
Deaf & HH Musicians
Mentoring Success
Dealing with Resumes



Rochester Institute of Technology

Gallaudet University

Colleges by State

California State University

Postsecondary Education

Colleges and the Law

Northern Illinois University

Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Mark Drolsbaugh--A Man with Many Hats


When I first came across Mark Drolsbaugh's books,Deaf Again and Anything But Silent I ordered both books right away. I tore through both books, laughing and nodding along. I felt as if Mark had wrote about my life! I had the opportunity to contribute a chapter of my life in his third book, On the Fence. I always recommend those three books to everyone I meet and my copies are always being lent out.

Mark is a great guy with a wonderful sense of humor and I sure hope he ends up on Oprah some day because he would have Oprah cracking up in the first fifteen minutes with his wry sense of humor.

I had Mark share a bit about his life:

Tell me what a typical day is like for you at work.

As a guidance counselor at the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, I work primarily with the secondary department. Each grade level in high school has one advisory session per week. Advisory sessions last one hour and cover numerous topics with the goal of preparing students for college, vocational training, and/or the work force. In Junior High School, we run a weekly PALS session -- Peers and Leadership Skills -- with the goal of preparing students for the transition to high school. I also have the thrill of collaborating with the World of Work program at PSD which focuses on job skills and job placement. On top of all that, we're currently revising our counseling program so that its in accordance with the ASCA (American School Counselors Association) National Model--a lot of exciting changes are in store.

Usually there are two advisory sessions a day and there are also opportunities to join students in the classroom. On top of that there are individual grade/credit reviews for each student throughout the year and college visits, guest speakers, and community service. No two days are exactly alike so it never gets boring!


Is this a job, a career or a calling for you?

All of the above!


Give me a little history on how your life lead up to this current position at work.

Well, I was bumbling along as an accounting major at Temple University back in 1988 when there was this little incident at Gallaudet University that caught my attention. I transferred to Gallaudet in 1989 and went through a total metamorphosis. Gina Oliva (author of "Alone in the Mainstream: A Deaf Woman Remembers Public School") refers to this as the "Met Deaf, Wow!" phenomenon. The opportunity to attend a school with other deaf peers and role models had a profound impact. I switched majors and became a serious writer on the side. I wound up working a newspaper columnist for DeafNation, Silent News, and SIGNews for a while before branching off on my own writing projects.


What are some of the goals you've set for yourself down the road?


Quite frankly, I'm at a crossroads right now. It's exciting at PSD what with the counseling program aligning itself with ASCA. At the same time, my wife Melanie and I both run our own business, Handwave Publications, and what started out as a side endeavor has grown into something much bigger than expected. We've got three books published, a childrens' book is waiting in the wings, and I'm about to collaborate on another book with two former Gallaudet classmates.

Also, Handwave Publications isn't just for books -- we've got two websites up and running. They are Deaf Culture Online and Unique Fitness Tips. Deaf Culture Online
is more like an advocacy/informational website (with the infamous Drolz Uncensored blog included in there) while Unique Fitness Tips is designed for people who love to work out but simply don't have the time. It's a tremendous thrill to be able to run a home business that's based on your passion. I love the Deaf community and I'm a fitness fanatic, so to be able to write about both isn't a job -- it's a blessing. Somewhere down the road I'd love to see Handwave Publications expand and become a full-time commitment.
1 Comments:

I am delighted that you have
recognised something about Drolz.
I read his blogentry some time
last week and thought to myself:
If a trio, Hillary, Obama, and
Obama ran for presidency, I
would pick Drolz. There is
no mean-spiritedness in his
soul at all. Oprah would give
him a BEAR hug!

Yay, a man with many hats, too!

A regular Drolz reader.

February 20, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Career & Job Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory